Friday, November 19, 2010

"That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet": Adaptability in the Classics

William Shakespeare is a classic playwright who is featured in theatres across the globe. The Stratford Festival of Canada was opened because of a need for Canadian art (as outlined in the Massey Report). The founders decided that performing the classic Shakespearean plays would be perfect for all who lived in Southern Ontario. The Stratford Festival is held in high esteem today because of the quality of shows performed. Audiences love Shakespeare and being part of a(n elite) cultural heritage.

My question: Is Shakespeare relevant today?

My answer is no. It actually makes me feel guilty to say that, as if I have betrayed something sacred to me. As a lover of performance art, I have Shakespearean prints framed on my walls and the collected works on my bookshelf. I go to Stratford every year to see a performance of "The Merchant of Venice" or "The Taming of the Shrew"....but my answer is still no. Times have changed, and although I love watching the performances they do not effect how I make decisions or my choices. The word relevant means: applicable, appropriate, suitable, or fitting. The characters acted "suitable" to their situation based on the time. I would never take the morals of a Shakespearean story and apply it to my life because they are so vastly different. Ethics have changed, and society has changed. For example, I would never cross-dress to disguise my identity from someone (much less a duke), or demand a pound of flesh for my own personal vendetta. These solutions would never come to pass. I am also not a royal and do not foresee a problem when dividing land amongst my daughters. I do not etch the name of my beloved onto the trees, for fear that the City of London would arrest me for vandalism to the "Forest City". I have never been shipwrecked or stranded on an island with magical beings (though I think it would be enlightening), and I will never consider suicide for the loss of a new lover. I am too level-headed for that.

It could be argued that the lessons learned from these acts are relevant, for example that the Shylock is fighting prejudice and he is strong-willed when fighting against oppression. Or that the good will conquer evil, and fools often are the most intelligent people around. However, I think there are clearer examples from more recent plays that would be better suited for today's diversity issues. If your father was killed by your uncle, perhaps you could debate whether or not to kill him and drive your girlfriend crazy, but that's a bit extreme- don't you think?

Evolve or die. Shakespearean plays have been adapted into movies that resonate better with modern audiences. Below are some examples of film adaptations. Please note that other adaptations for the stage, novels etc. have been made.

The Taming of the Shrew- "10 Things I Hate About You"
Twelfth Night- "She's the Man"
A Midsummer Night's Dream- "Get Over It"
Romeo and Juliet- "Westside Story", ("Twilight")
Othello- "O"
Hamlet- "The Lion King"


Shakespeare's stories can be made relevant, but their original forms are irrelevant.

All art must eventually adapt, especially if it expects to reach audiences and stay current. It is important to understand where such films came from. Shakespeare should be taught because his plays are globally accepted as part of the cannon of important works. We must make Shakespeare relevant, and not just accept that everybody should know his works.

No comments:

Post a Comment